On October 22nd, Covenant Woods will celebrate its 135th year of serving seniors in the Greater Richmond community. Residents will be treated with special menus in Covenant Woods multiple dining venues on the day of the anniversary, with dishes specifically recreated to honor The Richmond Home for Ladies, Covenant Woods predecessor.
The Richmond Home for Ladies was founded in 1883 by Methodist and Presbyterian leaders who recognized the need for a home for widows and aging women in the community. The Home relocated in 1914 to Stuart Avenue, where it remained open for almost 90 years. Through times of great change in the city of Richmond, The Richmond Home for Ladies was a steadfast constant.
In 1999, Leadership recognized the needs of the community had changed and agreed to move the home and change the model of the non-profit. The Richmond Home for Ladies became Covenant Woods, a Continuing Care Retirement Community open to both men and women, and moved to Mechanicsville. In 2001, Covenant Woods opened its doors and 40 acres to a new era and excited new residents.
Since that time Covenant Woods has grown and evolved into a multifaceted, accredited Life Plan community. The campus now encompasses over 90 beautiful acres and is home to over 370 residents. Many new amenities and residences have been built over the last 17 years, but the core mission of The Richmond Home for Ladies, enriching the lives of older adults, is still going strong in Mechanicsville.
Covenant Woods is a continuing care retirement community with 188 apartments, 43 cottages as well as assisted living and skilled nursing care centers.